A Long Bike Ride (2:15)

I'm on the bench today, so I thought I'd ride all the way to Rosslyn.

  • 6:45 - 7:00 Ridge Road - Southway - Greenbelt Rd (MD 193)
  • 7:00 - 7:30 Indian Creek Trail - Northeast Branch Trail
    • I thought it would be nicer to ride trail than road when still darkish, but I think the road might have been safer with street lights and passing cars. I didn't have a spill, but I might have come upon a branch or rock unexpectedly in that gloaming (is it called gloaming in the morning? It's not really called dusk...)
  • 7:30 - 8:00 Rhode Island Avenue (Rt 1)
    • The worst hill is topped by 1st Street NE. Not sure why I decided to try this instead of the usual U Route (4th St).
  • 8:00 - 8:25 1st NW - Louisiana Ave - Constitution - 3rd NW
    • In spite of the ADC bicycle map, you cannot really ride 1st Street all the way to H Street. I'm not really sure how I got from 1st Street to Louisiana.
  • 8:25 - 8:50 Mall
    • It looks like they're working on paths around the Washington Monument inside the barricades. I bikes are allowed through there, it sure will help my commute.
  • 8:50 - 9:00 Memorial Bridge - Unnamed Path along Arlington Cemetary/Carillon/Iwo Jima - Ft Myer Drive
    • There is path re-construction on the DC side of the Memorial Bridge. The detour is narrow board covered with miniature golf grass. In addition, there are portable toilets blocking the bicycle path at the Carillon.

This is one of those days I wish I'd brought my camera. I saw:

  • Huge Orange Cat sitting on the top rail of a fence along the Indian Creek Trail.
  • Runway Deer, two of them, standing on the path near the end of the College Park runway.
  • FBI massed on the corner of T & 1st Street NW, waiting for the battering ram.
  • Sidewalk Closed to Pedestrians sign at the Mall. Does this mean it's okay to drive on the sidewalk?

My odometer lists this as 11.85 miles, but I never trust the odometer. It also shows only 1:47 of riding time.

0 thoughtful messages from friendly readers: