Hugo Ruminations, Part I

A Convention Report

As noted before, the Brunette and I are signed up for The 63rd WorldCon. Not only does this mean that we get to return to Glasgow next summer, it also means that we get to nominate and vote for the Hugo awards. Now, if that's not exciting, I don't know what is.

Apparently, each convention is allowed to have an additional category on the ballot. Glasgow chose to have an award for Best Web Site. I suppose it would be cheeky to nominate my own humble site, especially since it has nothing whatsoever to do with science fiction, so I'll need to look around. Here are three that I'm considering nominating -- we get to nominate up to five:

Mundane SF

It's slightly possible that I've outgrown words like manifesto. The etching a line in the sand image behind such words no longer stirs my blood. On the other hand, I've been drawn to this blog for the last little bit, trying to see how the young ones are doing these days.

The Mundanes promise

To produce a collection of mundance science fiction consisting of stories that follow these rules:

  • No interstellar travel -- travel is limited to within the solar system and is difficult, time consuming and expensive
  • No aliens unless the connection is distant, difficult, tenuous and expensive -- and they have no interstellar travel either
  • No Martians, Venusians, etc.
  • No alternative universes or parallel worlds
  • No magic or supernatural elements
  • No time travel or teleportation
  • Not to let Mundanity cramp their style if they want to write like Edgar Rice Burroughs as well.

Ah, youth. Certainly, in a time that brings us bloated works like Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, it's nice to see someone trying to think about discipline. Any kind of discipline. Perhaps they were thinking of a similar cinema manifesto? At any rate, it's good to see they're not toooooooooo obsessed with adherence, as the last line of the manifesto shows:

To burn this manifesto as soon as it gets boring.

Today in Alternate History

A site that will surely not land on the Mundane list, Today in Alternate History is a weird ride. That's about all I have to say about that.

Neil Gaiman's Blog

It looks like all my sites so far are blogs. Now, Neil Gaiman's web site is a full web site, but his blog is what draws me. I'm not sure that I've ventured anywhere else on his site. Mr. Gaiman has got to be the most accessible of our living writers.

Of course, our dead writers aren't very accessible at all.

I don't mean that his writing is accessible, though 'tis; I mean that Neil Gaiman faithfully updates his blog -- when he's not too buried by work and sometimes even when he is -- and maintains a public conversation with his fans and other passers-by. I take this as a sign that the man has some compulsive disorder that forces him to write at any opportunity. Before the internet, he'd have been that man in the ink-splattered overcoat, trailing bits of paper and unanswered post cards everywhere he went.

Or maybe not.

At any rate, I visit his blog nearly every day -- when I'm not too buried by work and sometimes even when I am.


Comments and other suggestions are welcome! Balloting will close in March.


Oh, geez, and I haven't mentioned that the exchange rate for the tickets was $1.94 to the pound. Oi.

0 thoughtful messages from friendly readers: