Too Much of One; Not Enough of the Other

So, I get to work with no problem, but I can't get back onto the MetroRail until after 7 (preferably after 8, to be honest). A few times, the Brunette has driven out to pick me up. It doesn't save gas, but it keeps us at one car (and I get to see her earlier). But what's a cyclist to do when his wife's away?

Probably something stupid.

Heck, I say to myself, it sure looks like there's a nice little bike trail all the way down to Rosslyn. Why don't I just bike on down to the city, get something to eat, and then ride the rails home later in the evening?

I mean, how far can it be?

I'll tell you, it's more than 25 miles. Twenty-five is how far I got before I gave up in Ballston. I had to stop to find something to eat and it was getting dark, you know. (Oh, and I was completely zonked.) I got a nice kebab at the Food Factory.

Still, it is a nice ride. There are way too many stop signs. I'm not the fastest rider out there and I'm on a hybrid, but the stop sign density keeps even me from picking up any speed. Just when you get up to a decent clip, another stop sign appears. On the other hand, the stop signs do provide one with philosophical nuts to chew over during the ride. Consider these truths:

  • If a crosswalk exists, then cars must yield the right-of-way.
  • If a stop sign exists, the user must stop.
  • What do you do when there's a stop sign on the bike path and a crosswalk on the road?
At any rate, while there are way too many stop signs, there are other amenities. One example: ice cream shops! Well, there are two ice cream shops. And the two are both in the same town. But, still, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

0 thoughtful messages from friendly readers: