It's a LibraryThing. You Wouldn't Understand

A Library Report

As we go through cataloging our little library using this cool LibraryThing, we're taking bets on whether or not we have a thousand books in the house. Before we started, I'd have been firmly in the positive on that score, but now I'm having my doubts. After tonight, we stand at 692 cataloged. I doubt there are 300 remaining. We haven't yet hit the few technical books I've held on to (these are fairly fat) or our little drama and comic books section. The drama section might push us over because those are pretty thin books.

The other little controversy here in the Wee Hoosie is whether or not to admit to owning particular books. We do have books on our shelves that we either did not purchase ourselves or did not enjoy whatsoever. We're pretty bad at getting rid of these things, though, so they sit side-by-side with our well-loved and easily recommended books. By hanging on to these books we are probably going to skew the new feature from LibraryThing that gives you a recommendation based on other people with similar library tastes.

We've settled, I think, on cataloging these books, but we're going to mark them with the tag quarantine to indicate that we're keeping these books to prevent them getting loose in the wild. Now, I'll have to go back and find all the ones we should mark this way. For now, we have seven:

Darwin's Radio by Bear, Greg
Icefalcon's Quest by Hambly, Barbara
Adventures in the Alaskan Skin Trade by Hawkes, John
Tales of the Kingdom by Mains, David R.
The Darkling Hills by Martin, Lori
Eragon by Paolini, Christopher
The purpose-driven life : what on earth am I here for? by Warren, Richard
So, what books do you own that you'd put under quarantine?

6 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

Kristina said...

I've got The Prayer of Jabez by Bruce Wilkinson. Yea, that definately needs to be quarantined. Probably more, I just can't remember off the top of my head.

i, squub said...

Okay, see, now, you got me all out of hibernation (or something did, anyway,) and here you are badmouthing Darwin's Radio. Jeesh.

Of course I'm not absolutely certain I read that. I read something by that guy, and when I picked it up I know one of the things by that guy that I was looking at was Darwin's Radio. And if it WAS Darwin's Radio that I read, which I'm not saying it is, but if it WAS, then I'm pretty sure it wasn't awful.

taleswapper said...

Oh, that book is terrible! (Darwin's Radio I mean. I haven't read Jabez.) I couldn't get more than half way through before giving up, and that's saying something. I'm generally obsessed with finishing any book I start no matter how bad.

i, squub said...

Alright, we'll just have to disagree. I just went and found a synopsis and it's definitely the one I read. And I think it was astoundingly not bad. It was unbelievably worth at least sort of reading.

Obviously it wasn't my favorite book, but I dug it.

taleswapper said...

Sure, we can agree to disagree. Sure, why not? Geez. It's not like I've got any irons in this fire, no boy.

I'm just shocked, nay, appalled, that you liked that book. It's nothing like what you seem to write. But I guess people can have other interests/other likes.

i, squub said...

Maybe I just liked it because it's got a cool title.