Getting Crabby

A Daily Report

Well, it's my birthday today. A recent tradition (is that an oxymoron?) for me is to try something to eat for my birthday that I have long maintained I dislike. I remember a few years ago noticing that I was eating Chinese food fairly regularly. This struck me because when I was in college, I frequently described Chinese (and, heck, anything else exotic) as "grass and mud." But now, I love many Asian cuisines and am not quite as picky as I once was.

I've heard that this is not unusual. As we grow older, our taste buds change (or maybe they die?) and I find that things I used to object strongly to are no longer so offensive. I'm working up to my 40th birthday on which I will once again try that awful stuff I've avoided for lo, these many years: fish.

But for this year, I tried a crabcake. I (mostly) grew up outside of Baltimore, and I've always been a black sheep for not liking seafood and especially for turning my nose up at crabs. What kind of Marylander doesn't like a good Old Bay-seasoned blue crab?

The advantage of a crabcake is that there's not so much work as with hardshell steamed crabs. Overall, I'd say the experience was not so traumatic as the fateful year I tried V-8 juice again. The crabcake from G&M's restaurant is not nearly so bready as I remember people eating when I was growing up. It was pretty much a mashed-potato scoop of crab meat. I guess I'd call crab meat pretty mild, and with cocktail sauce, I didn't have any trouble choking it down.

In the final analysis: I might be able to grow to love the things; certainly, I won't need to go out of my way to gobble them up. By the same token, I don't need to run and hide if we visit someone's house and they put crabcakes in front of me.

2 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I hope you have some good plans :)

- the other redder Lori

taleswapper said...

Thanks. I had a good birthday.