Nick's Pizza and Other Stuff

Pizza

We were told that this place would have the best pizza in New York. So we bundled up (it was cold in NYC this week) and visited Nick's on the Upper East Side. I'm not sure what they think they mean by "Family Style," but it felt like a nice place to rest, what with the roaring fires in the back and all. Well, they weren't roaring so much audibly, but they were flaring.

The pizza passed the initial hurdle: a slice can be folded. The pepperoni was well-curved and the cheese was all-mozzarella. I liked the taste of the whole leaves of basil, and the crust had a nice taste, but the thing smacked of a bit too much posh for me to call it the best pizza. I don't want such fanciness, and the crust was a bit overcooked, to be honest. Let's call it a darn good pie, but we'll look elsewhere for the best.

Spamalot

Not much to say, really, except we laughed and laughed and laughed. I went in expecting that I wouldn't laugh all that much -- expecting the show to be pretty much just retreads of jokes I've heard a million times. And while I was right about the retreads (all the funniest stuff was written back in the '70s), I still laughed and laughed.

In the end, I think that this is the advantage that live theater provides: a shared experience. Watching the movie alone or with a small group is not nearly so entertaining as sitting with a couple thousand of your closest friends, laughing at the same time. It's worth the trip.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to seeing something that's not based on an old movie. In fact, I realized this trip that I've been to a lot of shows on Broadway, but never to a non-musical. Maybe next trip...

Friendliness

Boy, we never get this kind of friendliness in DC. Strangers left and right were talking to us the whole trip. People in elevators, odd little guards in the museum, other theater-goers. Many were commenting on the weather, but even in the mad rush that is New York, there was so much more camaraderie than here in DC.

Other

I don't know why we don't pop up there more often. After we stopped at the MMA in the morning, we checked out, stopped at falafel shop (and a White Castle, too!), bought a bag, and jumped right onto the 1:10 train with no waiting.

Yep, it was a good trip. (Note that I didn't dwell on the missing pickle at White Castle, the woman mown down by a carpet trolley in the fashion district, or the evil case full of delicious looking deserts at the Celebrity Diner. No, this was too good a trip to be spoiled by such small things.)

0 thoughtful messages from friendly readers: