The Ties that Bind

I grow nervous when I hear folks talk with fondness of the good ole days when we dressed up for work. There were two guys chatting along this vein on the Acela back to DC last week. One commented that he liked the idea of people trying to dress like workers at IBM did "when IBM knew what they were doing."

I hate this kind of talk. Reducing the flow of oxygen to my brain with an ugly tie does nothing to aid in my productivity.

I wanted to, I really wanted to, turn around and say, "Look, old people, as far as I can tell, the only people who wear suit and tie these days are hotel concierges and Wall Street stock monkeys. And look where these people in their stupid ties have gotten us."

But the syntax of that sort of implies that concierges are also responsible for our current crisis, and I didn't want to give them a bad rap. They're just folks who wear a tie because their boss makes them.

0 thoughtful messages from friendly readers: