Ouch

Elephant Dentist from Shorpy

Alright, I admit it. I'm a big baby. I've had a raging toothache for over a week now, and I have so far avoided using the 'D' word. It's made me pretty grumpy and distracted. If you've run into me recently and found me distracted, it's been I've been wondering if maybe the gods of tooth decay might not be appeased by the sacrifice of a stupid loud beagle.

And of course the most obvious response to a pain in the tooth is not to go to a dentist, because no matter how much it hurts, the dentist is only going to make it hurt worse. Or so I believe.

So it's actually pretty brave of me to have made an appointment with the dentist, which is exactly one hour from now, don't you think? Walking down there, though, is going to be harder than getting out of bed after pulling three all-nighters in a row.

And if he looks anything at like Steve Martin, I'm running away to Mexico. Tequila is a known cure for the pain, I hear.

3 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

fiona said...

Read this too late to tell you some horror "dental" stories, you'll probably be back by now, feel better...ya big WIMP! :-)

weirdtales said...

So am I, although, I'm also dreading goin' to the 'D'..but I should. I cracked the shet out of a molar on an old maid after golfin' one day..another molar, that my periodontist said " will last a while, unless you get hit by a truck tomorrow" fell out. I saved it with my kids teeth from the the tooth fairy..eeewwww! maybe I'll make a necklace someday..eeeww again..anyways, I always dread going, but after you go, it's never as bad as you anticipated..maybe I'll put some balls on & go in soon..maybe not.
later..weirdtales

AbbotOfUnreason said...

@F: thanks for the encouragement! :)

@WT: The cleaning was much easier than in the past. I haven't been in 15 years, and even I didn't find the cleaning so bad. The dentist doesn't seem to use that stupid metal hook any more so the scraping wasn't nearly so painful. Of course, I still have to go back for the deeper cleaning.