What Was the Last Book You Read that was Fun?

I'm in the middle of writing a book tale for Emma Bull's Territory, which I really enjoyed, but I took a quick glance through the other books I bothered to write about this year, and none jump out as being fun. I started thinking about this as I listened to Nancy Pearl's podcast review of Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog, a book that I so enjoyed it brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.

I liked a lot of the books I read this year. Some of them taught me something. Many of them were good. But very few can be described as fun. And I think that by "fun" I mean that I really cared about what was going to happen to the characters -- that in fact they were people I'd like to hang out with; that I actually was engrossed by the book to the exclusion of outside angst; that it would make me smile to think about them.

I think that Territory and Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road came closest, but the latter probably wouldn't survive a re-read. And other than those, it's hard to say how far back I'd have to go to find that kind of fun book.

So, what was the last book you read that was fun?

10 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

Zombie who reads said...

The one I'm reading Now, A Great and Terrible Beauty, is kinda fun. But definitely more of a chick's book.

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Ok. I was going to call you a sexist, but I went to look at the cover and I do generally avoid books with laced up woman's back covers. But LibraryThing says it has witches. Cool. Territory was about Wyatt Earp, but it had wizards.

only-slightly-sexist zombie said...

Yeah, the cover makes it totally look like a romance novel, but it's not I assure you :)

fiona said...

I just finished Stephen Fry, Making History,well worth a read.
John Irving,Terry Pratchett and Tom Sharpe are my favourite re-reads.
There IS a u in favourite!!

AbbotOfUnreason said...

I like listening to Fry, but I didn't like the one book I read: Revenge.

I haven't heard of Tom Sharpe.

I'll have to take a look.

weirdtales said...

I liked all of the Peter Jenkins books, especially "A walk across America" and "The walk West", and all the down home real Americans he meets on his walk..and his dog Cooper.

weirdtales said...

I forgot to mention "Travels with Charlie" and "Cannery Row" (classics) by Steinbeck and "The Drifters" by Michener, long, but kept me interested in their travels across Europe.

AbbotOfUnreason said...

WeirdTales: I'm sensing a theme! Do you have an opinion on Bryson?

abby, the hacker chick blog said...

Ohhh, Connie Willis is one of my absolute favorite writers. Now I'm smiling thinking of TSNOTG too. :-) <-- see

Okay - fun, a couple immediately jump to mind:

Rock On: An Office Power Ballad by Dan Kennedy. I don't remember the last time I laughed so damn hard and so much reading a book. This is just awesome.

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card is like a fairy tale for adults. I'm not one for reading books multiple times, but I've read this one at least 3 times now... and will undoubtedly read it again.

Also, if you like Connie Willis, her book Bellwether is short but fun, I just got a kick out of that one. And, actually, not as good as Connie Willis - but Kage Baker's "company" novels are very similar to Say Nothing of the Dog/Doomsday book - same sci fi/history/time travel kind of genre.

And well, I think it goes without saying, and probably not what you're looking for, but Alice in Wonderland, of course. :)

"how do you know I'm mad?"
"you must be, or you wouldn't have come here"

AbbotOfUnreason said...

@abby: I think that Enchantment might have been the last book I liked by Card. Rock On looks interesting. Makes me think of Nick Hornby, who I really like. Have you ever read the Firefly novel?