I Hear the Secrets that You Keep

Go ahead and click it to make it easier to read.

I don't have any secrets, either. I mean aside from the big one.

I can't remember which author I heard say this, but she (or he) said that the secret shouldn't be revealed. Somehow this will bring you closer to your characters and help with their motivations. It seems like it'd make a good game: pick a character in a novel and try to guess his/her secret.

In The House at Pooh Corner, I think that Winnie the Pooh's secret is that he lost his job at the outdoor lantern factory because of the drug-induced flashbacks and not, as he told the others, because the boss was just a hater of chubby little cubbies all stuffed with fluff.


Squirrel images used under Creative Commons license from images stored on flickr here (Attribution/Share Alike) and here (Attribution/Share Alike/Non-Commercial). (I personally took the picture of the gnome.) The terms of the license mean that this comic strip image is also available under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Creative Commons License

1 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

next door zombie said...

Oooh...special cameo appearance by the backyard gnome.