Eating Local

I flew a couple thousand miles and then drove 30 minutes from my hotel to eat local. Local Burger is a nice little joint in Lawrence, KS, where everything is from local producers. I liked the staff and the burger a lot (the bun, not so much).

Local Burger

That picture makes it look like the restaurant is up in the tower, but as far as I can tell, nothing is actually in the tower but cell phone equipment.

I also took a walk around town. Lawrence seems to definitely be in love with its college, if the t-shirt shops are any indication. And small wonder, in these economic times. A college must provide a little bit of cushion from the storms, if not full protection. The court house, on the other hand, looks like it's ready to weather any onslaught:

Douglas County Courthouse

While I'm summing up dining experiences, the night before last I ate at Quetzal Restaurant on the north side of Topeka. The place was colorful and the food was good, but the mixture of Amazing Grace and an operatic Italian rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah (I am not making that up) was a bit much to swallow.

Tonight I stopped by the famous Bobo's Drive-In, which is a weekly stop for me while I'm in Topeka. Lunch today was at El Mezcal (which might sound like Elmo's Cow to you, and certainly cursed me with the strains of the evil red furry one's theme corrupted with s/world/cow worming through what's left of my cheese-holed brain). I don't think I'll be going back. I've been feeling feverish, headachy, and nauseated ever since.

I don't remember where I ate on Monday.

1 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

Bowie Mike said...

You didn't mention all of the work you're doing on your "vacation" to Topeka, but I suppose Local Burger is more interesting? The Courthouse is cool. They don't make them like that anymore.