We Live In a Country

...Where if you run over someone (like a big ole Navy Seal legally riding his bike in broad daylight) but claim that you couldn't see him, you don't get any penalty for killing him.

...But you don't really own things you "buy" and can face 10 years in jail for modifying hardware in ways that don't hurt anyone.

If actual suffered penalties are any indication, I think it's clear who it is that the people of this country care to protect.

This is dancing around in my mind because I recently heard an author claim that you don't actually buy a book (I'm talking physical paper here, not e-books), you buy a license to read the book. Ugh.

3 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

lacochran said...

Send lawyers, guns, and money...

Bowie Mike said...

We also live in a country with this. I assume you've seen it.

AbbotOfUnreason said...

@lacochran: I'm goin' for a piƱa colada at Trader Vic's.

@BowieMike: I hope those kids are wearing helmets.