Another Labor Day

It's that time of year again: Greenbelt's annual Labor Day Festival is this weekend. It's the longest running volunteer-led Labor Day festival in the country.

It's the time when we hang up stuffed Animals:

stuffed Animals

Greenbelt is full of peace freaks.

Peace Balloon

Just because the town is full of hippies doesn't mean we don't respect rules:

Obey

And the best way to force people to obey is to scare them with giant evil clown heads:

Clown Head

It wouldn't be a festival without a Ferris Wheel.

Ferris Wheel

Don't forget the parade tomorrow, folks. The US Postal Service is going to unveil a stamp at the end of the parade.

8 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

Cyndy said...

Sounds like a fun day to be in Greenbelt! I love small town celebrations.

morninglight mama said...

We did our time all day on Saturday-- skipping naptime to make the most out of those wristbands! Of course, that meant a hiatus today, but tomorrow is parade day, so we'll be back in full force! :)

Bowie Mike said...

I was just about to post my pics of the weekend festivities. Morninglight, you're going to have to tell me where to get those wristbands for next year. I emptied out my wallet this year.

Bowie Mike said...

The Ferris Wheel pic reminded me of a previous post.

AbbotOfUnreason said...

@Cyndy: It's a lot of fun, especially when the rain doesn't shut everything down early.

@morninglight mama: I am personally all peopled out. It's like having 50,000 people in your back yard.

@bowiemike: The wristbands are available at the Co-op grocery store in the town center. I don't know if they're available anywhere else.

@bowiemike: Guess I like Ferris wheels.

Bowie Mike said...

Does anybody know if I have to be a co-op member to get a wrist band?

AbbotOfUnreason said...

@bowiemike: You do not need to be a member. Anyone can shop at the Co-Op, even for wristbands.

They might have some real cheap ones right now :)

Bowie Mike said...

Ha. Thanks Abbot. I'm already planning for next year!