Crepes and Chalk

As a certain local blogger might say, here's a small-town scooplet.

new_crepe_shop

Someone's moving into the old hot dog tent on Broad Street. I was so excited I stopped and took a terrible picture with my iPhone. I doubt you can make out the sign that says "Elevensies." I was so excited, in fact, that I overcame my debilitating shyness and poked my head in to talk to the folks setting up.

It's going to be a crepe shop. I have been craving a good street crepe since we moved here, so I'm glad they're setting up shop. They are planning to be open for a daily lunch crowd and on the weekends to feed the late-night revelers. There will be both savory and sweet crepes, along with an assortment of other delights. In particular, they pointed out that there would be cheesecake and "he is famous for his cheesecake."

Of course, I didn't pick up a name for the famous cheesecaker, but I look forward to this opening. They are aiming for this coming weekend.

I might have mentioned this before, but the World Science Fiction Convention (aka WorldCon) is in Reno starting tomorrow! So I'll miss the opening of this creperie.

I continued my walk up the hill and found this chalked on the ground on East Broad:

chalk_saying

Indeed, I doubt a child wrote that...

5 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

Bowie Mike said...

Being from Prince George's County, my kids draw body outlines in chalk. I think you might have more advanced kids in Nevada City.

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Hah! Back at RPI, <strike>we</strike> some students used to make chalk drawings on walls and at the feet of taller buildings. They'd have a speech bubble that said, "Ahhhh! I'm a vector!"

I have no idea why.

Bowie Mike said...

From Not the Rensselaer Handbook, which is dated September, 1985 (I believe the month you entered RPI):

Vector
n. (1.) In mathematics, a one dimensional matrix. (2.) Someone who is falling off a tall building. Derives from the last cry of the falling body, "I'm a vector!"

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Wow, look at that, the NtRH. I was thinking of that the other day because of a podcast discussing how nerd is a relatively recent word. The NtRH spelled it "knurd" and claimed it comes from reading "drunk" backwards.

Oh, I just went and looked at the wikipedia article on nerd, and it calls out the alternate spelling with a hat-tip to RPI for its first print appearance in 1965. Cool.

I'm not sure how many hours I've lost thanks to you providing this link. I can't believe movies used to be $3.50.

They really harp on about bringing an extra calculator or battery to a test. I never had a calculator die. Of course, I never knew what I was doing anyway.

Bowie Mike said...

I had never heard about "knurd," but I do recall an episode of Happy Days when they used the word "dren" to be the opposite of nerd. Sure enough, dren has a Wikipedia page that says the following:

Dren was used as a nickname in an episode of Happy Days where Joanie described Potsie as the opposite of a nerd, being that word spelt backwards.

Sorry to take you away from your work. I hadn't read the rest of the handbook. I'll have to go back and have a look.