Team Movies: A Call for Help

Dear readers, it is time once again to come to you, hat in hand, to request aid and assistance.

I'm not sure that I need both aid and assistance, but I'm going to ask anyway!

We have decided to start a podcast and the premise is that we're going to apply team remote retrospective facilitation techniques to the review of a movie. Now, that may not sound exciting to you, but trust me the kids are going to lap this stuff up.

The problem is that I'm having trouble picking a film. The main restriction is that I want the film to be available streaming on Netflix because that's the only way I can guarantee everybody participating will get to watch the movie. And so many films I've thought of are not available for streaming.

Can you help me by making suggestions in the comments section? It's OK if you don't know if they're on Netflix; I'll do the searching. I just need a bigger pool to pick from. And since I'm hoping this will become a regular podcast, we'll need several movies to make multiple episodes.

Here are the kinds of things I've been looking at. The important thing is that there is a group of people trying to accomplish something, mostly assuming that they're all trying to work together (but hidden agendas are OK).

  • Team Heist Movies:
    For me the obvious place to go was something like Ocean's 11, The Bank Job or The Italian Job. The latter two are not streaming, and I definitely want to do the original Rat Pack Ocean's Eleven, but not for the first episode.
  • Westerns:
    I was thinking of The Magnificent Seven, of course. But neither it nor Bug's Life are streaming. A lot of westerns are about lone fighters or pairs; I'd like a bigger team than 2. Surely there were other ones.
  • War Movies:
    I figure this is an area that must be rich for mining, but it's not something I've got a lot of depth in. I can't think of a single example. Saving Private Ryan is not streaming!
  • Quests:
    One of our reviewers has requested that we skip science fiction and fantasy, which is just as well because I don't want to spend the time to watch all three Lord of the Rings movies. But if we get some good ones on the list, maybe we'll convince her later down the road. I guess Mystery Men fits in here. I like that one because it is intentionally team-oriented, but it is not streaming.
  • Sports:
    You know, a lot of sports movies seem to really be about one or two players and not really about the team. I liked Whip It, about a roller derby team, but it might be too much about only one of the skaters. There's always Bad News Bears, huh? (Not streaming!) It's possible that sports teams are a little too obvious anyway.
  • Other:
    I don't know what to call these, but they all involve groups of people doing things. I especially like Waking Ned Divine, where a whole town pulls one over on the lottery board. The Goonies is another one I couldn't put into a category. Neither is streaming.

So, what do you think? Did I miss a major category to search? Are there movies you'd suggest? The comments are open!

15 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

zombie said...

Stand By Me :)

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Yay! A zombie lives! Thought about you during our Constitution Day parade. A friend sent me pics of Greenbelt's Labor Day parade. Looks like PFLAG here and Pride there were carrying the same sign.

That's a good one to pick! Wow, 25 years old this year.

Dang, not streaming, of course.

Anonymous said...

Hey Abbot! I'll play!! I watch a lot of streaming Netflix, since we don't have cable or satellite. Sounds like fun. Just curious -- Did you say why you wanted to start this?

AbbotOfUnreason said...

I thought it would be fun to have an excuse to babble about movies and to also try out different facilitation techniques. I think it's best to do team retrospectives all in one room, but we're running into more and more teams that are distributed. So many of our techniques are based on face-to-face communication, I want to play with distributed techniques in a safe way.

Right now, I'm still trying to find a good list of useful movies. I wonder if Big Night has a big enough team. Oof, it's not streaming either!

Anonymous said...

Some good sport team movies off the top of my head are, "We were Marshall", and "Remember the Titans".

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Gosh darn it, Netflix, what is your problem? It feels like they've scaled back their streaming options.

Highway 69 said...

One of my favorite war movies is "Platoon".

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Oh, nice suggestion. Netflix is making me sad.

Anonymous said...

"Radio" was good. It could be categorized under sports.

AbbotOfUnreason said...

I haven't heard of that one and it is actually streaming on Netflix. I wonder if it has enough of a team aspect or concentrates on Cuba and Ed?

Anonymous said...

I does focus mainly on the two... How about Miracle on Ice? I haven't seen it, but I noticed it's available.

AbbotOfUnreason said...

I'm leaning toward Charlie's Angels or The Dirty Dozen. I'm going to watch those this week to see if they're suitable.

Anonymous said...

Another pretty good sports team movie that I just watched again is "Glory Road". I don't know if it's streaming(since we own it).

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Interesting idea. Not streaming, of course. I'm thinking it's time to give up the Netflix.

Your recommendation makes me think of Glory, the movie about the first all-black volunteer US Army company during the Civil War. That has some interesting teaminess.

Anonymous said...

It was very similar to the other two movies I suggested (We are Marshall and Remember the Titans). All three are based on true sport team stories. All three have good character development with feel good endings.