What Were The Skies Like When You Were Young?

Walked out of the house today and fell immediately to the ground, I was so worried I'd hit my head on the sky. What are all those dirty greyish white things up there about?

Obviously, the arrival of the Constitution Day Parade (A week before Constitution Day? What's up with that?) and these objects in the sky are some sort of indicator that we have definitely left Summer behind, no matter what the thermometer may claim.

For those of you outside the area (and especially those of you back in Maryland who are dealing with 4+ days of straight rain), you have to understand that it hasn't rained here since Memorial Day, as far as I can remember. These clouds are a reminder that we are no longer in that glorious time when we can plan a weekend activity without even a scintilla of doubt about being rained out. It won't be long until we're back to having do doubt, but then it will be winter and we'll have no doubt because getting rained out will be guaranteed.

Ah, Summer I will surely miss you. Bring on the snow.

Here's a picture from near my (real) sister's house. Earthquakes and floods on the East Coast, plus the normal humidity and hurricanes. It's nice to be in California.


2 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in California, so I never knew it rained anywhere during the summer! When I lived in New Hampshire, I owned a Jeep CJ5. One sunny day in May, I removed the top and doors, then neatly stored them away for the summer, thinking, "Finally!" The day wasn't over before it started to rain! Since that time, I have lived in the mid-west and eastern part of our country and learned the importance of not counting on the sun to stay out --not even for a day!!

AbbotOfUnreason said...

I have so many memories of rained out little league games and family outings.

There's a saying in planning circles that if you guess what today's weather will be based only on what yesterday's weather was, you'll be more accurate than the meteorologist's guess.

While it's supposed to be a comment about putting too many of our hopes and dreams into a project plan, I can't help but think that the person who came up with that was from California.