Berry Christmas

This is my offering for the 4 December edition of the December Photo Project. These berries are up in the pine trees in the back yard of my house. Do you know what they are? I want to believe they are mistletoe. On the one hand, this plant seems to be growing on the branches of a tree like mistletoe does, but on the other hand mistletoe berries are white, IIRC. I have a memory of going into the woods in the Smokies as a kid to shoot mistletoe out of trees. I wonder if that's one of those implanted memories that plague me so...


4 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

SR said...

Abbot, it's definitely not mistletoe, which generally only grows in oak trees. I cannot see the leaves and berries well enough to id the plant, but I wonder if it could be honeysuckle.

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Interesting. I've never noticed flowers up there, but the leaves do kind of look right. I didn't realize there were so many kinds of honeysuckle until I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Highway said...

I would have guessed winterberry.

AbbotOfUnreason said...

The berries certainly look right, but it's at least 12 fee up in the air in the pine tree.