Say Cheese

Over the weekend, the Brunette and I went to a cheese-making class at Peaceful Valley Farm Supply. It was so easy straightforward that we decided to make some mozzarella at home.

We started by getting some fresh water.


There are a lot of pictures in this post. Push the "Read More" link to see the results.

Then we got all the ingredients together, along with some new equipment. There really weren't all that many ingredients. (And I got too much water!)


It was an opportunity to buy a new pot, though. It was on sale at The Wooden Spoon.


The curds seemed to separate pretty quickly. Spooning it through the cheesecloth and strainer took a few minutes.


We couldn't find any "butter muslin," so we used the cheap cheesecloth. Maybe while I'm down the hill, I'll look around for the muslin or that cool bag she showed us in class.


Stylish pink gloves helped me squish squish squish the curds in between microwave bursts.


We wound up with two balls. One for leaving around for a day to dry some more.


And a stringy one to eat right away.


A day later, I bought a small eggplant and some English muffins. (The cheese got a little bit of a yellowish shell while it sat overnight in a cheesecloth ball.)


After roasting the eggplant slices, I piled them onto the muffins with a nice topping of the cheese.


And they baked for a gooey brown-topped mess of good eatin'.


Top with a bit of salsa and you have Anglo-Southwestern Eggplant Parmesan bites. Or something.


Oh and that tasted delicious.

I enjoyed the class very much, though I do wish there had been fewer attendees and that we'd been able to do hands-on stuff during the session. Still, seeing the mozzarella made before we tried did help a lot.

Now I'll have to dig out my engineering books so we can make cheddar.

3 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

lacochran's evil twin said...

Impressive. I always see mozzarella packed in water. Is that to avoid the hard yellow shell?

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Maybe. I think that it's packed in water or whey or oil to keep it soft. Letting it sit like I did was getting it hard enough that I could try to grate it for putting onto pizza, but I didn't have the patience.

Outside Inn said...

Very impressive, I haven't put my new skills to test yet, but I promise I will soon.