I'm Sick of Holy Wars

I had a lot of insightful things to say about the difference between saying "There was a terrorist attack in Wisconsin last night" and "There was a Planned Parenthood clinic bombing last night," and they were amazing things while they floated in my head. But I can't get them to assemble here.

The shock and awe that the reporting of a terrorist attack in Wisconsin would bring to the nation would be dramatic. But our own freaks go and bomb something, and we -- seemingly -- shrug.

I'd like to think that we are becoming more rational about terrorism. I think all terrorism is a criminal act and should be treated as such -- that is, not militarily. However, I think that the lack of the word "terrorism" in the linked article has a lot less to do with that kind of mind shift and a lot more to do with the particular book the bomber(s) read.

2 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

Don said...

Yep, Christian terrorism -- rarely labeled as such -- seems to be as American as apple pie.

lacochran's evil twin said...

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. This is why both FOX and CNN co-exist... to spin in contrary directions. No more news, if there ever was news--just spin.