The Abbey Garden: Part 4

I was thinking that one thing that makes gardening better than biking is that I can safely listen to my podcasts while doing it.

Granted, that might be the only thing that gardening has over biking. I need to get back in the saddle now that the weather seems to be approaching its annual stabilization point.

At any rate, I spent hours and hours today cleaning up the second bed, so it now looks like this:


I'm glad I got to listen to podcasts, because today, Neil deGrasse Tyson gave me something huge to think about. Everybody knows that the square root of 9 is 3. Do you know what the other square root of 9 is?

I shoveled a bunch of the dirt from the new bed into the old. My plan is to work one with old soil and one with a prepared mix similar to the Square Foot Gardening recommendation. So we end the day with what once looked like this:


now looking like this:


As I was shoveling, I got lost in thinking how I could use the square root example in my classes and got my shovel tangled up on my earphone cord so that it yanked them roughly from my ears. I guess it isn't all that safe gardening while listening to podcasts, either.




This is part of a series. Go back to the start or continue on to the next part.

0 thoughtful messages from friendly readers: