The Abbey Garden: Part 5

Well, we had a little detour since the last installment. I haven't been home more than three days in a row since then, I don't think, but I guess that got us through the last possible frost.

So today I got back in the saddle. The left bed is filled with dirt it had before, plus dirt from the other bed. I don't know the content of that dirt, but I assume it's pretty much local soil. There doesn't seem to be anything interesting in it. The right bed, I'm going to try the Square Foot Gardening thing in. To do that, I had to go down to Peaceful Valley and buy a bunch of bags of stuff.


The goal is to mix all of this together: 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 little tiny rocks. It was a bit more expensive than I was hoping, but we'll see this summer whether there's a significant difference between the two beds.

I'm not sure why I chose to mix it up on the tarp (which I'm using to kill everything in the third bed). It did mean that I mixed it twice -- once on the tarp and once as I shoveled/dragged it into the bed.


All of that pile filled up one half of my bed.


After a couple of hours of work, I now have two finished beds ready for planting. I like the color of the special mix bed.


Now it's time to square off the one bed and plan both.



This is part of a series. Go back to the start or continue on to the next part.

By the way, I'm cheating by not buying the book or reading anything but other gardeners' blog posts about Square Foot Gardening, so don't take anything I do as an example of the canon.

0 thoughtful messages from friendly readers: