The Abbey Garden: Part 8

If you want to feel kind of useless, make a garden. It doesn't seem to matter whether I do anything or not and the boxes just keep growing.

Here is the old box a month since the planting:


And the square foot one:


The "old" box has started growing some ivy. I'm happy to let it do so; I want to raise it and put it somewhere useful.


So far, I think that the differences between the old and new methods are: the old method has bigger plants and the newer method has more corn.


Also, the new method is a gazillion times easier to weed -- one, it has about 0.05% of the weeds the old box has and, two, I can tell what is a weed based only on where it is growing.


The peas are growing more quickly than I expected, so I didn't have a chance to make a good plan for something they can climb. I ran over to the ReStore and got this CD rack to let them climb. I used a bunch of twine to give them different directions to grow in.

I hope it works.




This is part of a series. Go back to the start or continue on to the next part.

By the way, I'm cheating by not buying the book or reading anything but other gardeners' blog posts about Square Foot Gardening, so don't take anything I do as an example of the canon.

0 thoughtful messages from friendly readers: