Atari 2600

Atari 2600 by Ethan Hein
Atari 2600, a photo by Ethan Hein on Flickr.

Yesterday was the 35th birthday of the Atari 2600. I'm surprised that here in its birthplace I didn't hear anybody mention it.

The 2600 was my first and only game console. I spent hours and hours hogging the TV so I could play a cops & robbers rip-off of PacMan. But what I really wanted was the constantly rumored keyboard that would turn the thing into a computer. I wanted to make my own stuff and by the time we got our own Apple IIc, I was off game consoles and onto computers forever.

But I still remember sitting on shag carpet fiddling with wires hooked up to the antenna of our TV with cartridges strewn all over the floor.

And you have to admit the thing is gorgeous, right?


Image Via Flickr:
When's the last time a video game console came with fake wood veneer? From wikipedia.

2 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

lacochran's evil twin said...

And the deep shag hid a multitude of sins.

AbbotOfUnreason said...

ha. and i didn't even mention the fake wood paneling and orange lampshades