Soup's On

From this


to this


in eight easy steps.

I used to have a birthday tradition where I tried a food that I had previously avoided because I didn't like it when I was younger. I kind of ran out of steam on that. This year, I thought I'd come at it from a different angle.


You see, I don't eat soup. Something about hot liquids just doesn't do anything for me. I don't eat soup and I don't drink coffee or tea. I didn't think I'd want to try a nice soup this year, but the least I could do is mix soup into something I might want to eat.

Sure, soup is in a lot of things, but have you ever had tomato soup in a cake? Here's how it gets made.

Step 1: Mix all the dry, powdery stuff together.


Step 2: Add tomato soup and shortening.


Step 3: Blend for two minutes.


Step 4: Add eggs and water; blend two more minutes.


Step 5: Add walnuts and chocolate chips and pour into a 9"x13" baking dish thing.


Step 6: Bake for 30 or 40 minutes.


Step 7: Let it cool for a while, then apply frosting. (I'm in no danger of winning cake decorating awards)


Step 8: Slice and serve.


It's pretty much just a moist spice cake. It tastes good. I have no idea what the tomato soup is supposed to do, though. I don't taste it at all.

2 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

Highway said...

Very interesting!
When your aversion to hot liquids is being discussed... do people always ask, "what about this, what about that?"

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Mostly they just look at me like I'm nuts. My sense of taste doesn't seem to work so well it's a hot liquid.