Decisions

OK, Internet, help me make a decision here.

I've been trying to find a new place to live, and I've narrowed it down to two places. Which should I pick?

Albion


This is the house and its view:


Albion is on the coast north of San Francisco in Mendocino County. This meets my dream of living on a cliff overlooking the sea and making home improvement the way I work out my mid-life crisis.

Pluses
  • Ocean right out window
  • Away from it all
  • Might be fun to fix up
  • The price is right
  • Closest airport is named after Charles M Schulz
  • Nice park at river/inlet less than 2 miles away for kayak launching
  • It's on a road that shares a name with half my favorite duo

Deltas
  • Coastal Commission might be hard to deal with in fixing up (and it must be fixed up)
  • Would like to be closer to an airport. Although Alaskan Air flies through Santa Rosa, nothing else does. SMF is probably 4 hours away.
  • Would like to be closer to civilization. It's pretty far from everywhere. There's not a nice pub or cafe or something to walk to and hang out.

Cayucos


This is the view from three blocks from the house:


Cayucos is a small beach town on the Central Coast. This meets my dream of being a total beach bum.

Pluses
  • Full beach is only three blocks away
  • Located in town, where there are restaurants and bars, a nice one overlooking the beach
  • Closest airport is closer -- San Luis Obispo is about 30 minutes, with two major carriers (still no Southwest) and both San Jose and Bob Hope are about 3 hours away (worse than NC, but better than the first option)
  • There are places to walk and to bike. It's flatter and there are shoulders, I'm sure I could bike to Morro Bay easily and maybe even as far as Hearst Castle
  • Cayucos is named after a kayak-like boat

Deltas
  • Would like to be on the ocean. Not available here (right now).
  • Would like a detached home. Prices are higher here. To afford a place, I'm likely going to have to bid on a townhouse
  • Would like to be closer to airports. This is still not a great distance for airports. (I do travel quite a bit, even in my new role.
  • Would like a place I could play with and have visitors. The townhouse I'm looking at is small and I probably can't make it bigger

Those are off the top of my head. Will continue to think of other pluses and deltas. If you have any knowledge of these areas or somewhere else on the coast, leave a comment in the comments. Or if you have an opinion at all. Or even if you just want to say 'hi'.

The polls are open.


5 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

lacochran's evil twin said...

Hi.

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Hi! You actually read it.

Highway said...

Hi Abbot!

I read it too!

Where will you put your garden? Neither place looks conducive to growing anything!

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Hi, Highway!

Turns out I chose the option of 'neither!' (Well, I chose Cayucos, but the offer was rejected.)

I put an offer on a house in Cambria, but haven't heard back yet. There's a little bit of land, but you're right, there isn't much fresh water/rain here. I'll probably have to try experimenting with succulents.

Highway said...

Good luck Abbot. You'll find the place you need to be...

Succulents? How about agave?
It's not very attractive, but I heard you can survive on its nectar!