20 on 20: Oops

Well, I had this great idea.

On Labor Day, I drove the entire length of California Route 20, east to west, stopping every twenty miles or so to take pictures. I took a lot of pictures.

I came home and I thought I'd make it more interesting. I wouldn't just show pictures from every stop; I'd write a short story around each set. And I did one for mile zero.

I dilly-dallied a bit. I was starting to write a post for the 20ish-mile-marker, where the dead baby lives, but I hadn't quite gotten it all done.

Then my computer crashed. I had a back up of most everything (anyone who started following this blog from its beginning 10 years ago, would be horrified if I hadn't been storing my code in a version control system). My code was safe. My music was safe. A few ancillary record-keeping files and documents about moving were safe.

But something was not right with my backup of pictures. Every picture I've taken with my camera since 2010 is gone. (I have a few pictures taken with my iPhone, but nothing all that interesting).

Gone: All the lakes. All the wee toaty explorers. All the Frankenstein-a-days. And all the 20 on 20 pics.

I'm glad I have a version of all the wee toaty explorers on the blog, but they are all smaller versions than the original files, and there were more angles I kept on hand in case some day I'd like to do something with them.

20 on 20, my shortest series ever.

Oofta.

2 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

Don Pelton said...

I'm sure this will sound too simple-minded to even bring up, but it may be worth asking:

In what sense did your computer crash? Did it simply become unbootable? Or did the file system become corrupt?

I ask because over the last 15-20 years I've had probably a handful of "crashes" of my personal computers, and in each case I was able to remove the primary hard drive and plug it into another computer and access all files. In others words, I've never had a crash that resulted in lost files.

Perhaps my experience was unusual, but it leads me to ask whether -- in addition to recovering files from your backup system -- you've analyzed your primary hard drive to determine if the filesystem was still intact?

Sorry if this comment is of no use to you whatsoever.

AbbotOfUnreason said...

yeah, those are good thoughts. the computer eventually just ground to a halt and after a long series of hardware checks, we decided to just wipe the disk and start over (unusual for a mac). I thought I was safe because I'm a good backer-upper. But the backups are no good if you don't check them.

But the wipe and re-install (with the newer OS) actually has helped the performance of this machine, which surprised me. I think the fact that I'm doing development on this thing is a factor when I'm sloppy.