The River of No Return (Bee Ridgeway)

Julia sat beside her grandfather's bed, holding his hand.

Considering my favorite book is Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog (Well, about half the time it is. The other half of the time, it's Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson.), you'd think time travel was a thing I was into. But I'm not. The thing about time travel books is that they talk too much about the time travel itself, while TSNOTD concentrates on the characters and doesn't seem to care too much about the mechanics. The River of No Return makes a really good go of it, to be sure. I was interested in the characters, though the love story wasn't all that interesting or fun, but there was just a shade too much worrying about the mechanisms and philosophy of time travel for my taste.

(And I know this is odd, because in general with regard to SF, I'm interested in the explanations. There's just something about the trope of time travel that digs at me. I'll examine it closer in the future.)

0 thoughtful messages from friendly readers: