Ancillary Justice (Ann Leckie)

So, last year, I tried to write down the first line of every book I read. I found it interesting, but not as informative as I'd like. And I still got to the end of the year and had to struggle with remembering what some of the books I had read had even been about. It's hard to remember things as you get older, you know.

Or when someone interferes with your memory banks.

As I was reading Ancillary Justice, it kept calling up the ghosts of a couple of books, so I thought that this year I'd offer Book Mates -- the book I read must have been the evil love child of what two other books?

Now that I've read Ancillary Justice, I see commentary everywhere. It's a bit like when I bought that CRX back in the 80s. I hadn't really noticed them before I bought them and suddenly there were CRXes everywhere I looked. It's like that with Ancillary Justice. It's getting good reviews everywhere I look.

And this book is completely up to the hype. What a ride! This book has restored my flagging faith in the science fiction novel. Yep.

I picked it out because I had run out of reading and flailed a bit for my next pick and I remembered Neil Williamson's buying list from WFC back in November.

So, now, I'm going to buy the other books on Neil's shopping list. Is that creepy?

So, what two books got busy to make this one? There's a little bit of EmbassyTown in this book and a little bit of the Miles Vorkosigan books, but there are two better choices.

I think that Ancillary Justice is what you get if The Left Hand of Darkness and The Ship Who Sang got married and produced offspring. This book jumps right out of the gate playing with gender. I can't say it's not in your face, because it's obvious, but it's not a distraction or badly done. It continued to be an excellent reminder of my assumptions during the whole read-through.

I think it's the humming that made me think of the Ship Who Sang.

Good stuff.




0 thoughtful messages from friendly readers: