Birthday Tree

Well, it's over a month since my birthday, but I wanted to stick to my tradition of planting a tree at my birthday once I had a home again. Unlike the acre up at Nevada City, my new home in Cayucos has a yard of about 3.14159 square feet.

So I bought a whiskey barrel.


It held Kentucky bourbon, according to the stamp on the bottom. And it must have held it pretty recently because my car still reeks of alcohol.

Or is blessed with a glorious bouquet of bourbon, depending on your point of view.

In it, I planted a tree.


The label on the tree says "Bacon," but I'm pretty sure it's an avocado.

Everybody knows bacon grows on a vine.

6 thoughtful messages from friendly readers:

Highway said...

Happy Birthday, Abbot!
That's a great tradition.

Wasn't last year a Sequoia tree?

AbbotOfUnreason said...

I started the tradition when I moved to Nevada City, so there have only been a few:

2010: Almond
2011: Apple
2012: Oak
2013: Holly
2014: Avocado

The apple and almond died because of the stupid deer.

Highway said...

Hey Abbot,

I must be thinking of someone or something else... besides my own redwood that I bought and planted.

Can you make avocado pi?

AbbotOfUnreason said...

Oh, geez, what a scary world. I didn't realize I had mentioned it on the blog, but I did plant a redwood that I had forgotten about. It wasn't for my birthday, though. I bought it to replace a tree that year where the wet early snow brought down four trees in my yard.

Highway said...

Somebody who is such a prolific writer like yourself, wouldn't be expected to remember a tiny detail like that. I only remember it because it reminded me of the Skunk Train trip through the Redwoods with my son.
We bought a young redwood tree at the train station souvenir store, and planted it when we got home.

Emily Walsh said...

Hi Abbot! Just got done reading up on your blog and had a quick question. I was hoping that you could email me back when you get the chance. Thanks!

Emily : )