Birthday Tree 2017

Wow, I'm behind on everything.

Generally, I buy a tree every year for my birthday. I'm rarely on my birthday when I do, but this year has been particularly slow. And then I've been slow to document it. I got the tree over a month ago. Now it's time to show you.

But first an update on previous trees planted here in Cayucos.

Last year's tree was a wee lime tree. It looked like this:


Now it looks like this:


The poor thing lost all of its leaves in the sun last year, so I moved it behind the fence for a little protection and a good number of leaves grew back.

2015's tree was an olive. It looked like this:


Now it looks like this:


Everyone talks about how the weather on the Central Coast is "Mediterranean." i think the fact that my most successful tree so far has been the olive kind of bears that our.

My first tree was back after I moved in in 2014.

It was a happy little tree:


And I killed it.


I was trying to move it from the whiskey barrel to a nicer spot with a little shade, but I think I hacked at its roots. Poor thing went quickly.

Since I've had the most success with the olive tree, this year I kept to the Mediterranean theme.


I planted another stick! This one is a fig tree. The nursery said the fig is the only tree it won't guarantee for a year, so wish me luck.

0 thoughtful messages from friendly readers: